Kaima Idli is one easy recipe with the left over idlis. When I was a kid I personally don’t eat idli. Just after marriage I started eating idli. Those who hate idli will also love this kaima idli. That is the speciality of this dish .It is also called as Chilli idli in some restaurants. This will be a great after school snack to the kids or a wasy breakfast for a busy morning. Kaima Idli tastes best when served with onion raita .So the next time when you have left over idlis , without thinking please store them in fridge ,Awesome Kaima idlis could be prepared out of those left over idlis.
Kaima Idli Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Snacks
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Serves: 2
· Onion - 1 (chopped finely)
· Tomato - 2 (pureed)
· Green chilli – 1 slit open
· Chilli powder - 1 tspn
· Coriander powder - 1 tspn
· Garam masala powder - 1 tspn
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tspn
· Capcicum – 1 finely chopped
· Green peas – ½ cup
· Idli – 6 nos
· Salt - as needed
· Coriander Leaves – as required for garnishing
· Water – ½ cup
· Mustard – 1 tsp
· Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
· Curry Leaves – 1 spring
· Oil – 2 tsp
1) Take a kadai and add oil. Once the oil becomes hot add in mustard and cumin seeds .Once it splutters add in Curry leaves.
2) Now add in the chopped onion and fry till it becomes golden brown
3) Now add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves. Keep the stove in medium flame otherwise the ginger garlic paste might get burnt.
4) Now tomato puree.
5) Add in the Chilli powder and coriander powder.
6) Add in the required salt.
7) Now add the cooked green peas and chopped capsicum.
8) Saute it well for about 1 min.
9) Now add in ½ cup water. Now cook in high flame for about 3-5 mins or till the water get evaporated. Adjust this according to your taste . You can leave it as a gravy or dry completely.
10) Meanwhile chopped the reserved idlis as cubes. And deep fry in hot oil till it becomes crisp.
11) Now add the fried idlis in the cooked masala.
12) Fry for about 2 mins and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Refrigerate the idlis overnight for about 4 hours otherwise the idlis might get stick to the bottom of the pan while frying.
- You can even add 2 tsp of chilli powder if you prefer it spicier.
- 1 tsp Curd could also be added if you prefer it tangy.
- Serve hot and crisp kaima idli by garnishing with Lemon.
- Bake at a preheated oven at 190 Deg C for about 10 mins if you wanted to skip deep frying
Please do try and let us know your comments. We value your thoughts. Happy Cooking J