Brinji rice is simple but tasty rice variety .It is usually called the rice which is flavoured with Bay leaves and cooked in coconut milk .But I have made the recipe simple, I have used water to cook the Brinji rice. This can be made on a quick morning as we don’t need to prepare any side dish or gravy to pair with the Brinji rice, it tastes really good with the Onion Raita itself.
Check out the similar Rice/Grains recipes too..
Brinji Rice recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time :30 mins | Author :Sharmila
Seeraga Samba Rice – 3 cups
Onion – 3 big
Tomato – 4 medium sized
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 ½ tbsp.
Mint+Corriander Leaves – 1 cup tightly packed
Curd – ¼ cup
Chilli powder – 3tbsp
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Garam masala – 1 tbsp
Lemon – 1 tbsp
Water – 3 ¾ cups
Kesari powder – a pinch (Optional)
Oil /Ghee – 2 tbsp
Salt -to taste as required
Black stone Flower/Kalpaasi Poo – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 5-6
Bay Leaves – 3
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch piece
Fennel Seeds – 1tbsp
1) Take a heavy bottomed Pressure Cooker add in oil or Ghee and wait till it becomes hot and then add in the ingredients under the To Temper table. Wait till it splutter and emanates a nice aroma.) Then add in the Onion which is sliced lengthwise fry till it becomes golden brown, this step might take a bit of time.So don’t be in a hurry .Carry out the process in a medium flame and Stir often. Then add in the chopped tomatoes.
5) As a pre requisite soak the rice in water for about 30 mins, Now add in the soaked rice in the cooker and fry for a min .Next add in water and Lemon Juice.Mix everything really well, also check for taste and adjust if anything is required .Once the water comes to a boil add in the kesari powder and don’t stir the contents afterwards. Now close the lid and pressure cook for one whistle and then wait until the pressure gets released all by itself .Then open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork with care. Tasty Brinji rice is now ready to be served.
- I always use 1 ¼ cup of water for 1 cup of Basmati rice or seeraga samba rice. This ratio never failed me. I used to get the rice with perfect texture.
- Always soak in the Rice for 30 mins before cooking.
- You can reduce the amount of mint and coriander leaves if you dint prefer it.
Please do try and let us know your comments .We value your thoughts .Happy Sunday J