Mushroom Biryani is a treat to veg lovers. In my Mushroom Biryani I have included only mushroom you can also include Carrot, Beans, Green peas or any vegetables to make it even healthier. Mushrooms are low in carbohydrates, calories, and sodium and are cholesterol and fat free. High in fibre and protein. So why not include this in our food once in a while and be healthy.
I served Mushroom Biryani with Onion Raita, Pickle and Cut Water Melon pieces.
Check out the Other Rice Varieties too..
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category:Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Serves: 2
Basmati Rice - 1
Cleaned Button mushrooms - 3/4 cup chopped
Onion - 2
Tomato – 2 medium sized
Mint Leaves – 1 tbsp
Thick Curd - 2 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder – ¼ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Water – 1 ¼ cups
Salt - to taste
Kesari Powder – a pinch (Optional)
Star anise - 1
Cinnamon - ¼ inch piece
Coriander leaves - 4 tbsp
Mint leaves - 3 tbsp
Green Chilli - 1
Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
1) Take the ingredients mentioned in the “To grind” section in a blender grind it to form a smooth paste. If your feel it’s too thick to grind add little water and grind them .Now take a heavy bottomed Pressure Cooker and add in the oil or Ghee.
2) Wait till the oil becomes hot and then add in the Fennel seeds, Cinnamon sticks, Star Anise, Bay leaves, Cloves , Fry till it sizzle ,It will give a nice aroma .Then add in the Onions which are sliced lengthwise. Fry until it becomes golden brown in colour.
3) Next add in the ginger garlic paste, fry until the raw smell leaves it will take about 2-3 mins. Then add in the ground green puree stir well and also add the remaining mint leaves. Fry until the raw smell leaves or till the mint leaves shrink. Stir well.
4) Next add in the chopped tomatoes, wait till the tomatoes are cooked and oil leaves from the sides, Then add in the Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder , Garam masala powder ,salt and mix well.
5) Now add in the Clean and chopped mushrooms, Stir well for a min and then add in the soaked Basmati Rice, and fry for a min.
6) Add in the measured water 1 and ¼ cups and the curd. Give everything a good mix. Now add in Kesari Powder .This is optional. After adding Kesari powder don’t mix it .Wait until water comes to a boil and then close the cooker and pressure cook for one whistle. Let the Pressure gets released by itself and then carefully open the cooker and fluff it up with a fork .Handle the rice gently so that it won’t break.
- Adjust the spiciness according to your taste.
- You can also cook this Mushroom biryani using Electric Rice cooker.
- You can skip adding the Kesari powder, it is just optional.
- Instead of adding curd you can also add Lemon juice.
- Clean the mushrooms well before adding into the biryani.
Please do try and let us know your comments. We value your thoughts J