Vaazhai Thandu/ Plantain Stem is a highly nutritious food. It is rich in fiber. It is known for dissolving kidney stones, and curing urinary tract diseases. It is good for diabetic patients. It is extremely good for hyper-acidity and constipation. Due to its high medicinal value vaazhai thandu is made atleast once a month in most of the homes in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Try this awesome, nutritious recipe and post your priceless comments. Cheers!
Checkout the other Lunch sidedish recipes too..
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Category: Side Dish
Prep Time: 30 min | Serves: 3-4 People
Method:1.Before chopping the stem please make sure you to the following steps.
i)The stem has lots of thin fibrous ends which should be removed before cooking. If those are not removed it will be unpleasant to eat. So the trick is in cutting the stem. Instead of directly cutting the stem to fine squares,first cut it into moderately thick circles. You will find the thin fibers sticking in the end of each slice. Remove them completely and then start chopping them to small squares.
ii). Take a bowl of water and mix a spoon of turmeric powder to it and keep it ready before you start cutting. Put the chopped pieces into it. If left open the stem tends to become dark in color.
2. Heat a kadai in low flame and add oil to it.Once the oil heats, add mustard to it and let it splutter.
3. As the mustard starts spluttering add curry leaves to it.
4. Allow the spluttering to rest and then add moong dhal to it and slightly roast it.
5. Now add the finely chopped onions to it and saute it till it becomes light golden brown.
5. Add chopped green chilli to it and saute for few minutes.
6. Now add the chopped vaazhai thandu/Plantain stem.
7. Stir it well for few minutes.
8. Add salt to it and stir well until the salt is mixed evenly.
9. Now add water to it and cover it with a lid.(Tip: Start adding water slowly until the stir is almost soaked. If you add water in a single go then the stir becomes too watery.)
10. Stir in between so it doesn't char. But allow the water to be completely absorbed and the stem to soften.
11. Now add the grated coconut to it to add a nice and rice flavor to it. Mix it well and switch off the stove.
12. Tasty and healthy Vaazhai Thandu Poriyal/ Plantain Stem Stir Fry is ready. Serve it hot with rice and sambhar.