Bottle gourd/Sorrakai /Lauki is a watery vegetable. It has so many health benefits. It is widely used for weight Loss ,Premature hair greying. It is also used as a remedy for urinary infections. I was not a big fan for Bottle gourd until my college days .It was my friend pradeepa one fine day told me the health benefits of bottle goud and she used to prepare this kootu for me often. From then I started having this healthy vegetable often. Sorrakai kootu tastes good with steamed rice rasam and any fries
Check out the other LunchSide Dish recipes too…
Sorakkai/Bottlegourd kootu recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Lunch Sidedish
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time :30 mins | Author :Sharmila
Sorakkai /Bottle gourd – 1
Channa Dal – 3 tbs
Onion – 1
Chilli powder – 2tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Water –as required
Salt – as required
Coconut – ¼ cup
Jeera /Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Dry Red chilli -2
1) In a kadai add in water and once it starts boiling add in the channa dal, Onion, curry leaves and allow it to boil till the channa dal is cooked. It might take around 15-20 mins. Once the channa dal is cooked add in the chopped bottle gourd.
2) Stir everything together for about 5 mins in medium flame. Now add in Chilli powder, coriander powder , Turmeric powder and salt .Mix everything well and then wait till the bottle gourd is 905 cooked and then add in the ground coconut and Jeera/Cumin Seeds and mix well.
3) Check for the salt and spice switch off the flame once the bottle gourd is cooked completely. Now prepare the tadka in a small pan add in oil once it becomes hot add in the ingredients under “To Temper” list in the table and pour over the bottle gourd curry and mix well .Healthy Lunch side dish with bottle gourd is ready J
- Add sufficient water to the curry as the Bottle gourd curry is not dry kootu.
- You can also cook the channa dal and bottle gourd in pressure cooker for 2 whistles and then follow the remaining process like mixing the spice powders and adding the ground coconut paste and the finally the tadka.
Please do try and let us know your comments. We value your thoughts J