Fish curry is a famous coastal recipe found throughout India. The recipe I have shared below is my family's traditional recipe. Fish curry recipes found in the Northern and other interior parts of TamilNadu are very different. So I have shared the recipe found specifically in the South Coastal regions. It is rich and mouth watering and simple. You may need to put a little more effort in making it than you normally do but, the end result will be worth your effort. So go ahead and try it. Good Luck!!!
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Category: Gravy | Marination Time: 30-45 min
Prep Time: 40 min | Serves: 3-4 people
1. Soak the tamarind in water before you start marinating the fish.
2. Marinate the fish using the marinating ingredients and keep it aside.
3. Keep all your ingredients ready.
4. First take the onion and garlic in a blender and make a chunky paste. Don't make it to a fine paste. It should be chunky. Grind it and keep it aside.
5. Next take the coconut pieces in the blender and grind it to a fine paste.
6. Now take a heavy, large bottomed vessel(Tip:large bottomed vessel helps to stir the curry without breaking the fish.) and start extracting the tamarind. add water slowly and extract the juice. You will not add much water later to the gravy so dilute it according to how much gravy you want.
7. Add Tumeric Powder, Salt and Chilli Powder to the tamarind extract and mix it well.
8. Add the coconut paste to it and stir well. Add little more water and dilute the gravy if thick.
9. Keep the vessel in stove low flame and allow it to boil.
10. Add the marinated fish to the now boiling gravy.
11. Allow the fish to cook well.
12. Heat a kadai in a low flame add oil to it. Once it heats add mustard to it. Once it splutters add curry leaves.
13. Add the chunky paste of garlic and onion paste to it.
14. Saute for a while then add the chopped tomatoes and chilli.
15. Saute well till the raw smell leaves and all the now cooked mixture to the gravy ans stir well.
16. Allow the mixture to blend well. Let the gravy boil for another 10-15 minutes.
17. Add corriander leaves to it.
18. Hot, yummy fish curry is ready. Serve it hot with rice.