Tomato Thokku\Thakali thoku is an Indian side dish recipe .It tastes great with Idly, Dosa ,Indian Flat bread and even with Steamed Rice or curd rice .I had it with Idli it tasted great I would say, You can also prepare this in bulk when the tomatoes are in Season and could be stored up to a month ,Always use a clean spoon for more shelf life.
Don’t replace gingelly oil with any other cooking oil as it gives a nice taste and aroma to this. I also tried searching in google what exactly is the meaning of Thokku J couldn’t get the exact meaning but it is almost like a pickle J
Tomato thokku recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Pickles
Prep Time: 5 mins| Cook Time : 20 mins | Serves: 3 | Author :Sharmila
Tomatoes – 6
Red Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Fenugreek powder - 1/8 tsp
Garlic pods – 7
Salt as needed
Gingelly Oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
1) In a kadai add in 1 tbsp of gingelly oil once it becomes hot add in mustard seeds let it splutter and then add in the crushed garlic pods. Next add in the chopped fresh tomatoes.
2) Mix well the tomatoes will leach out the water and get cooked. Cook till all the water is gone and the mixture becomes thick.
3) Next add in the Chilli powder, Turmeric powder ,Fenugreek powderand salt mix well and fry for a min and then add in the remaining 2 tbsp of oil. Mix well and check for salt and spice. Mix well so and cook till it oozes out excess oil on the sides of the kadai.
- You can add in a tsp of jaggery before switching off the flame.
- Carry out the entire process in a low to medium flame.
- Use only gingelly oil for this recipe as it gives the required aroma and taste to the thokku.
- This thokku stays good for about a month if refrigerated if stored in a storage container and freezed.
- Use a clean spoon for it to stay good for a longer period .
Please do try and let us know your comments. We value your thoughts J