Ven Pongal/White Pongal/Khara Pongal is a famous and traditional South Indian Dish. Breakfast menu in all the hotels contains this amazing dish. I have shared my mother's recipe below. Try this easy, yummy and healthy recipe. Good Luck!!!
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Category: Breakfast
Prep Time: 40 min | Serves: 3-4 People
1. Clean and Rinse rice and moong dhal in a vessel.
2. Add 2 3/4 cups of water and 1/4 cup of milk to the rinsed rice and moong dhal. Add salt to it.
3. Keep it in a pressure cooker in medium flame. Wait for 4 whistles and then keep it in low flame for 5 minutes.
4. Wait for the pressure to release. In the mean time the masala can be prepared. Take the pepper and cumin seeds and crush them coarsely. Chop the ginger to fine pieces and cut the chilli into two pieces.
5. Heat kadai in low flame and add ghee to it. Add the cashews, ginger, curry leaves, chilli and the coarsely crushed pepper and cumin seeds to it and roast them slightly.
6. Once the pressure releases take the rice and moong dhal from the pressure cooker. It should be of the below consistency.
7. Mix the roasted cashews and masala with the rice and moong dhal. Hot, tastey Ven Pongal is ready. Serve hot with coconut chutney.(Link for coconut chutney-).