Coriander Leaves/Cilantro/Kothamalli is an important herb in Indian Cooking. we either use it to garnish are used as a flavouring agent. This herb can also be used as a main ingredient and used in preparing various recipes. Coriander Leaves has so many health benefits it lowers the cholesterol level, good for indigestion and various other skin disorder. So prepare this kothamalli/Coriander Thogayal once in a while and feed your family a healthy food.
Coriander Leaves thogayal is an excellent Lunch box recipe .We can simply mix it with White Rice or Curd Rice and Have it along with any chips.
Coriander Leaves Thogayal Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category :Lunch side Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins |Cook Time :5 mins | Serves :3 |Author :Sharmila
Coriander Leaves- 1 cup
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Dry Red chilli – 5-6 nos
Oil – 1 tbsp
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Jagerry – a small piece
Tamarind a small piece
1. In a Kadai add in the oil, once the oil heats up add in dry red chilli and Urad dal and fry till they become golden brown.
2. Then switch off the flame and allow it to cool down. In a blender add in coconut and the roasted urad dal and red chill, Jagerry and Tamarind.
3. Blend everything to a coarse paste and then add in the salt and Coriander leaves .Blend everything to smooth paste by adding a very little water. Tasty Coriander Leaves thogayal is now ready.
- This thogayal stays good only for 2 days.
- For a longer shelf life you can add a tadka to the thogayal.
- Tastes good when served with curd Rice or Steamed Rice.
- If the tamarind is hard soak it in hot water for about 15 mins, you can use this water while grinding the thogayal.
- You can also add a small piece of jaggery.