Sea foods are my favourite, Born and brought up in Nagercoil we get a lot of fresh fish everyday .Prawns are again my favourite however they are high in cholesterol we can have it once in a while .I have shared many pilaf and rice variety in our blog already .But have never shared a dum Biryani .This is the one .When it comes to biryani the authentic way of preparation is the Dum Biryani ,only in that the real aroma and flavour comes out .now let’s see how to prepare Prawn Dum Biryani .I am sure this will always be a winner recipe to please everybody in home.
Prawn Dum Biryani Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category :Main Course
Prep Time: 25 mins |Cook Time :45 mins | Serves :2 |Author :Sharmila
To Marinate :
2. Allow it to cook till the right consistency is reached. Check occasionally if the rice is cooked or not .Once the Rice is 90% Cooked switch off the flame and then strain the water using a strainer. Allow the Basmati Rice to cool before you start cooking.
3. In a bowl add in the prawns and add the ingredients one by one give in the “To Marinate” table .Mix everything really well and refrigerate for about 30 mins. Take a pan which you going to prepare biryani in that add in oil and once it heats up add in the Marinated prawns and shallow fry it for about 3 mins in a medium flame.
4. Remove the fried prawn and set aside. In the remaining oil add in Bay Leaves, Cinnamon stick, Fennel Leaves, Cardamom fry for a min and then add in sliced onions and green chilli.
5. Fry till it becomes golden brown .Remove few fried onion we have to use this while layering the biryani. Then add in chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes mushy.
6. Next add in Ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves and then add in the coriander leaves and Mint Leaves. Then add in Salt, Chilli powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala Powder. Mix everything really well.
7. Then add in the Curd/Lemon juice and then mix well till everything blends really well. Then add in the fried prawns and mix well.
8. Now set that as a layer on top of the prawn masala add in the 90 %cooked Basmati Rice. In a cup of warm milk dissolve few saffron strands before preparing the biryani. Pour in the saffron milk on top of the rice add in few chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves .Also add in the fried onions. Close the Vessel using a lid.
9. Heat a dosa tawa on top of the dosa tawa keep the vessel with biryani layer and keep a heavy vessel on top of the lid and allow it to cook for 15 mins in a very low flame. After 15 mins switch off the stove but do not open the lid. After another half an hour open the vessel and carefully fluff the rice with a fork don’t mix well. Aromatic Prawn Dum Biryani is now ready to be served .Happy Sunday J
- Use very good quality Basmati Rice. Soak for about 25-30 mins before you start cooking
- Clean and Wash the Prawns really well .Don’t forget to de-vein the prawns .As in most supermarkets they might clean the prawns but they will not de-vein it.
Please do try and let us know your comments .We value your thoughts J