Tomato chutney is a common chutney in south Indian breakfast. It is usually served with idly and Dosa as an accomplishment along with Coconut Chutney, Pudina chutney and Sambar. It is so easy to prepare and tastes great with just simple ingredients. We actually have it for our breakfast most of the days.
Tomato chutney recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category :chutney
Prep Time: 5 mins |Cook Time :15 mins | Serves :4 |Author :Sharmila
1. In a kadai/Pan add in a tsp of oil, once the oil becomes hot add in finely chopped onions sauté until the raw smell of the onions leave or till the onions turns glossy. Next add in finely chopped tomatoes.
2. Sauté the onions for about 3 mins and then add in salt and chilli powder and mix everything really well and then cook for about 1 min and then switch off the stove. Allow the tomato onion mixture to cool down.
3. Once the mixture cools down take it in a blender and blend it into a fine paste. Transfer it into the serving bowl now in another kadai add in the remaining 1 tsp of oil once it heats up add in mustard seeds once it splutters add in curry leaves and switch off the flame. Pour the tadka over the ground tomato chutney. Tasty tomato chutney is now ready.
- Using gingelly oil for the chutney gives a nice aroma to the chutney.
- You can also replace the chilli powder by adding two red chillies. If you are adding red chillies you can add before adding the onions.
- Pairs well with Idli, Dosa, Chapathi even with Curd Rice.
- Remains good for about a week if refrigerated.
Please do try and let us know your comments .We value your thoughts J