Chick peas is one of the Legume which is popular from the Middle East .However it is commonly used in all cuisines across the world. Chick peas are rich in protein. Rather than the White chick peas Black chick Peas /Kala Channa is considered to be healthier. It is commonly used in Indian Cooking to prepare kurma, Salad, hummus and many more.
Similar kurama Recipes:
- Channa Masala/Chole Masala
- Mixed Veg Kurma
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Cauliflower Kurma
- Channa Gravy
- Panner Kolhapuri Masala
Black channa kurma Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category :gravy
Prep Time: 10 mins |Cook Time :30 mins| Serves :4 |Author :Sharmila
1. In a pressure cooker add in Black channa, Salt and Turmeric powder and pressure cook till it is done. It took around 10 whistles for the black channa to get cooked for me. Meanwhile in a Blender add in Coconut, Tomato, and Fennel seeds add little water and grind well to form a fine paste.
2. In a kadai add in oil once the oil heats up add in Cloves, Cinnamon stick and bay leaves let them fry and then add in chopped ginger and garlic pastes and fry for a min.
3. Next add in chopped onions and tomatoes and fry well till the onions and tomatoes are cooked and then add in the cooked black channa mix well and then add in Chilli powder,Garam Masala Powder and Salt and mix well fry for about a minute.
4. Next add in the ground tomato and coconut puree and the required amount of water simmer and allow it to cook till the gravy consistency is reached.
- You can also soak the Black channa in hot water for about 30 mins before cooking, In that case it will be cooked easily.
- The kuruma goes well with Poori ,any Indian flat Bread ,appam and Idiyappam. Can also be served with Puttu.