When I was in hostel fish pickle is the most requested recipe by me to my mom. Not only me my friends too loved the fish pickle prepared by mom. This recipe is from my mom. She makes this to me often during my stay in PG.This is such a lovely pickle we can prepare this any time and store it for about one month .All fish lovers who stay away from home can make this and enjoy J As I did. After marriage my mom started packing this pickle for my hubby. He too love it !!
Similar Pickle Recipes:
Fish pickle Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Recipe Category :pickle
Prep Time: 30 mins |cook Time :20 mins |Author :Sharmila
Fish – ½ kg
Ginger Garlic paste -1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Vinegar – ¼ cup
Oil for deep frying + 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Pepper powder- 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
To Dry Roast :
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
Whole Pepper Corns- 1 tsp
Curry Leaves -2 springs
Cumin/Jeera seeds- 1 tsp
1. In a bowl take the fish .Make sure you chop the fish into small pieces .Add in Turmeric powder, Pepper powder and Salt and mix everything really well.
2. Allow the marinated fish to rest for about 20 mins. Meanwhile dry roast the ingredients mentioned under the dry roast section.
3. Once the mixture is dry roasted allow it to cool. Once it cools down take them in a blender and blend it to form a fine powder. Meanwhile fry the marinated fish pieces in Gingelly oil.
4. The fried fish should be crisp not soggy. Next in a kadai/Pan add in about 2 tbsp of Gingelly oil .Once the oil heats up add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves. Take care not to burn the ginger and garlic hence keep in a medium flame.
5. Next add in the Red chilli powder and the Dry roasted powder and mix everything really well. Next add in the Vinegar also .Take till everything is well combined and a nice aroma comes.
6. Next add in the fried fish along with the gravy and mix everything well check for salt and add .Simmer and allow it to cook for about 5 mins and then switch off the flame. Fish pickle is now ready. Store in air tight container for a longer shelf life.
- Always use gingelly oil while making pickles. It gives a nice aroma and flavour to the pickle.
- You can skip the addition of vinegar if you are going to store it for a short period.
- Always use a clean spoon while taking the pickles for a longer shelf life.
- Fry the fish to crisp for a nice fishy flavour.
- This pickle stays good for about a month when stored properly.