Pirandai or Adamant Creeper | Devil's Back Bone | Veldt Grape" in English and and it is called Hadjot in Hindi is a creeper that easily grows in the roads and it can also be grown in smallpots in homes .It has innumerable medicinal benefits.
The main drawback with Pirandai is its itchy nature but when handled with care it can be easily avoided. We need to grease our hands with Sesame oil before touching Pirandai. Always use Young and tender Pirandai for cooking as it is easy to handle .
Healthy benefits of Pirandai include.
- Reducing Inflamation
- Piles Treatment
- Skin disease
- Blood purification
Pirandai thogayal Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category :Thogayal
Prep Time: 10 mins |Cook Time :15 mins |Serves:3 |Author :Sharmila
Chopped pirandai – 1 cup
Urad Dal- 3 tbsp
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Tamarind – Small Gooseberry sized
Dry Red Chilli – 3
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder a pinch
1. Grease your hands well with oil before cleaning it .As it might itch the hands. Wash it directly under running tap water and then start cleaning it by removing the leaves and other stuffs. At the end only the stem of Pirandai/Adamant Creeper should remain. If you observe the plant closely it will be having nodes .The stem given in the picture has three nodes. Likewise cut all the nodes and separate it.
2. After cutting the nodes separately remove the hard part on the pirandai and then chop it into small pieces as shown in the image.
3. In a Kadai add in Oil once it heats up add in Urad Dal and Dry Red chilli. Cook for 2 mins in medium flame.
4. Next add in the freshly grated coconut and mix well till a nice aroma comes from the coconut .Next add in the chopped Pirandai/Adamant Creeper and sauté till the colour of the pirandai turns slightly pale.
5. Switch off the flame once it cools down .Take it to a blender add in Tamarind. Turmeric powder and salt and the add little water and grind it to a thogayal consistency.
- Always grease your hands with oil before cleaning the pirandai as it might cause itching.
- Never allow kids to touch the pirandai Stem.
- Addition of tamarind is a must in pirandai thogayal otherwise it might cause an itching sensation in throat after consuming.
- Cleaning of pirandai is a time consuming job. But while comparing with the health benefits of Pirandai it is totally acceptable.
- Tastes good with steamed Rice and Rasam.