Medhu Vadai /Urad Dal Vadai is a main recipe in South Indian Breakfast. Say any festival days we will be having Medhu Vadai, along with chutney and sambar. It is prepared by soaking Urad Dal for around 2-3 hours and then ground with minimal water and finally deep fried by adding onions and other garnish.
Medu vadai/Urad dal recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Snack
Prep Time: 10 mins |Soak Time : 2-3 hour| Cook Time : 3-4mins per batch | Makes - 20
1. Wash and soak urad dal for about 3 hours and then without adding water grind it into a smooth paste .Chop all the vegetables finely and set aside.
2. Add in the chopped vegetables to the ground urad dal add pepper corns and salt and mix well. Now heat oil in a Kadai for deep frying.
- Use minimal amount of water to grind the urad dal. Adding water makes the batter runny.
- Never allow the batter to stay long after adding onions, as after adding onions and leaving for a longer time makes the onions to drain water in the batter.
- The shape of the batter may not come perfect in the first try, it comes only by practise. I am also still practising to get the perfect shape.
- Grease the hands well with oil before dropping the vada in oil.
- Adding a tsp of rice flour gives more crisp vada’s