Rasam is a comforting soup/Gravy for a sick day. It is very healthy as it includes Garlic, Pepper, and Coriander... This is also very essential for digestion. Usually in all south Indian home they will have the Rasam daily after one serving with Kulambu they used to have once serving of rice along with Rasam as it is good for digestion.
Tomato RASAM Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Gravy
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :10 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Tomato – 2
Garlic pods – 4
Pepper corns – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves a spring
Salt as needed
Tamarind - small lemon sized ball
Rasam Powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
1. Wash the tomatoes very well .In a kadai add in Water and bring it boil and add the tomatoes in it and allow it to cook till the skin of the tomatoes start peeling as shown in the image .switch off the flame and allow it to cool down.
2. Once the cooked tomatoes cool down with the help of the hands. Mash it well .Remove off the outer skin and retain the juicy tomatoes pulp along with the water .Now in a Mortar and Pestle add in the Garlic pods and Pepper corns and crush it nicely.
3. In a Kadai add oil, once it heats up add in Mustard Seeds, Curry leaves and then add the crushed Garlic and Pepper corn fry for a min .
4. Add the tomato water, along with this add the tamarind water as well. Next add in Rasam Powder, Turmeric powder and Salt.
5. Mix it well and allow it to cook till it comes to a boil add in coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Tastes good when served with Steamed rice and Potato Fry.
- It is a good medicine during cold and cough. It soothes the throat.