Channa Sundal is an important dish during Ganesh Chaturthi . Both White Channa and Black Channa is served during the festival however Black Channa/Kala Channa is more healthy and it is rich in protein. After adding all calories with the sweets try this healthy snack as well..2. In a Kadai/Pan add in Oil once it heats up add in Mustard seeds, Cumin Seeds ,Hing and Urad Dal once they turn golden brown add in Dry Red Chilli and Curry Leaves once the seasoning gets mixed add in the cooked Black Channa and mix well.
Kala channa sundal Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Snack
Prep Time: 8 hours mins | Cook Time :15 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Kala Channa | Black Channa – 1 cup
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Water as needed
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chilli – 4
Curry Leaves a spring
Hing a pinch
1. Soak Kala channa overnight or about 8 hours and then in a pressure cooker add in the soaked Kala Channa , Salt and then add in necessary water and Pressure cook for about 6 whistles or till done .Once the pressure gets released by itself open the cooker and drain the Kala channa from the water and set aside.
- Keep a check on adding the Salt as we add Salt twice while cooking the Black Channa and while tempering.
- Make sure the Channa doesn’t get mashed while cooking.
- Channa Dal can also be added while tempering.
- So many variations can be made to this Channa Sundal however this is one simple and easy version.