Fish is a very common food in my home town, Most of the days we will be having fish in our Lunch Menu. So we do try to cook fish in all possible ways with many variations. This is one such popular dish in my home town, usually they don’t add Paneer in this dish, but I liked this combo and hence gave a try.
Fish Paneer putttu Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Side Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins |Cook Time 20 mins |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Fish- 5 pieces
Oil – 1 tsp + For shallow frying the fish
Green Chilli – 1
Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a spring
Onion – 1 medium sized
Salt as needed
Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Paneer – 1/8 cup Cubed
Coriander Leaves to garnish
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Sombu - 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as needed
1. Marinate the Fish with all the ingredients mentioned in the To Marinate table and allow it to rest for about 30 mins. Shallow fry the marinated fish pieces till it is 90% cooked.
2. Once it is cooked remove it from the pan and allow the fish to cool for some time. When it is of bearable heat shred the fish into small pieces and set aside. Now heat up a kadai and add in oil.
3. Once the oil become hot add n Mustard seeds once it splutter add in Fennel seeds Next add in Grated Ginger and Green chilli fry for a min or less and the add in Curry Leaves .
4. Add in chopped onion and cook till they become translucent. Next add in Garam Masala, Salt, Pepper Powder and Turmeric powder.
5. Give a good mix and cook till the masala is well blended. Meanwhile Cube the paneer and dip it in boiling hot water for about 5 mins and set aside. Now add in the Panner cubes to the onion and masala .mix well and cook for 2 mins and then add in the Shredded Fish and mix well.
6. Mix well and cook in low flame for another 5 mins till everything is blended well and switch off the flame .Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Paneer could be skipped and this can be made as Fish puttu it tastes good either way.
- Tastes best when served with Steamed Rice and Fish Curry .Even pairs well with Roti or Dosa.
- Instead of frying the fish we can also steam cook the fish .