Onam is round the corner so I am posting more Onam Sadhya recipes these days. Kalan is an important dish in the Onam Sadhya Menu .It is prepared with Elephant Yam and Coconut and cooked in a coconut and Yogurt based Gravy.
Other Onam Recipes:
Kerala Kalan Curry Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Kerala | Recipe Category : Lunch Side Dish/Curry
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :20 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Raw Banana – ½ cup cut into cubes
Elephant yam – ½ cup cut into cubes
Yogurt /curd – 2 cups
Water as needed
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – ½ tsp
Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
Salt as needed
Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Coconut – ½ cup
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
Green Chilli – 1 big or 2 small
1. Chop the Yam and Raw Banana in to cubes and keep immersed in water. In a large vessel and bring in water to boil, add the yam ,Turmeric powder and little salt and start cooking once its half cooked add in the Raw banana and cook till booth the veggies are done. Raw Banana tends to cook fast hence we need to add it to the Yam once its half cooked. Once cooked drain the veggies and set aside.
2. In a blender add in the freshly grated coconut, green chilli and Cumin Seeds, Add in little water if required and grind it to a course mixture.
3. Take a pan and add in the cooked vegetable in a low flame. Add in Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Salt and Pepper powder and the ground coconut mixture and mix everything well. Take care not the break the vegetables.
4. Take Curd in a bowl and whisk well by adding little water .Now pour the beaten curd to the vegetables and mix well check for Salt and once it is about to start bowling switch off the flame.
5. In another pan add in the Ingredients under “To Temper” table and then pour it to the Curry .Kalan Curry is ready. Serve hot with Rice.
- Feel free to increase or decrease the coconut as per your taste.
- Don’t skip adding coconut oil.
- Tastes beset when served with Steam Based and any coconut based Thoran.
- Kalan can be had as a curry or Side Dish .In that case the Yogurt amount should be decreased for Side dish and increased for Curry.