Kootu Curry is an important dish in the Onam Sadhya and the dish is famous from the Kozhikode region. I came across this recipe from a you tube video immediately i tried it and fell in love with it and it tastes so good.
Raw Banana and Yam cooked in a coconut based masala and then tempered with coconut which is roasted to golden brown.. A Yummy dish which is a must in the Onam Sadhya Menu.Watch this space for more recipes in the Onam Sadhya Menu..
Similar Onam Sadhya Recipe
Kootu curry Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Kerala | Recipe Category : Lunch side Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :15 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Yam – 1 cup
Raw Banana – 1 cup
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Chilli powder – ½ tsp
To Grind :
Coconut – ¼ cup
Green Chilli - 2
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tbsp
Dry Red chilli- 1
Curry Leaves – a spring
Coconut – 3 tbsp
1. Chop the Yam and Raw Banana in to cubes and keep immersed in water. In a large vessel and bring in water to boil, add the yam ,Turmeric powder and little salt and start cooking once its half cooked add in the Raw banana and cook till booth the veggies are done. Raw Banana tends to cook fast hence we need to add it to the Yam once its half cooked. Once cooked drain the veggies and set aside.
2. In a blender add in the freshly grated coconut, green chilli and Cumin Seeds, Add in little water if required and grind it to a course mixture.
3. Take a pan and add in the cooked vegetable in a low flame. Add in Chilli powder and the ground coconut mixture and mix everything well. Take care not the break the vegetables.
4. In another tempering pan add in coconut oil once it becomes hot add in mustard seeds ,Dry Red Chilli and curry leaves give a quick stir and then add in the grated coconut .Keep on stirring till the coconut becomes golden brown in colour. Mix this along with the vegetables. Mix everything well cook for a minute and then switch off the flame.
- Traditionally recipe calls for Ash gourd and Black Channa along with Yam and Raw Banana.
- Feel free to increase or decrease the coconut as per your taste.
- Don’t skip adding coconut oil