Purple Cabbage is a healthy option when compared to the regular green cabbage .It is otherwise called as Red Cabbage.. Thoran is an important dish in the Onam Sadhya menu .It is usually prepared by sautéing the veggies and finally tossed oven coconut. It can be prepared using Cabbage, Beans, Carrot and many more, I have prepared it with Purple cabbage for a change and added Green Peas as well.
When cabbage is cooked, it loses many of its valuable minerals and vitamins. However, the antioxidants in purple cabbage are easier for your body to absorb from a cooked state. For the best benefit, eat a mixture of raw and cooked purple cabbage. When you cook the purple cabbage, avoid boiling it, as the water will sap the nutrients from the vegetable. Sautéing purple cabbage works well for most dishes. When comparing purple cabbage to other varieties, the notable difference is the antioxidant levels. The deeper pigmentation in purple cabbage indicates a richer supply of anthocyanins, which can help lower your risk of cancer, heart disease, macular degeneration and many other diseases (source healthyeating)
Similar stir Fry Recipes
Check out the even more Stir fryand Lunch Side Dish Recipes
Purple cabbage peas stir fry Recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Lunch side Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time :15 min |Serves:4 |Author :Sharmila
Purple Cabbage – ½
Green Peas – ¼ cup
Onion – 1
Salt as needed
To Grind :
Coconut – ¼ cup
Dry Red Chilli – 2
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic pods - 3
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – a spring
1. Chop all the required vegetables and set aside. In a blender add in the ingredients mentioned in the To Grind section and grind it to a course mixture.
2. Heat a pan add in oil wait till the oil heats then add in Mustard seeds and let it splutter next add in Urad Dal let it become golden brown and then add in Curry Leaves and Onions .Cook till the onions becomes translucent.
3. Add in Green Peas and fry for about 3 mins. I used Fresh Peas, Frozen Peas can also be used. Add in Salt and mix well.
4. Add in the chopped Cabbage and mix everything really well. No need to add water keep on stirring and cook in a low flame .If required sprinkle little water.
5. Once the cabbage is cooked add in the ground coconut Masala and stir till everything gets blended well and switch off the flame.
- If you don’t want to add coconut you can skip it , But it is the addition of coconut that brings the best taste out of a stirfry/Thoran.
- The best alternative for Coconut is Roasted gram dal. But do not powder it well. Blend it coarsely and add it to the Stir Fry.
- Tastes best with Steamed Rice and Sambar.