Rasgulla is a popular Bengali Milk sweet which is predominantly consumed over the Asian countries. It is prepared from Chenna (Cottage Cheese) and cooked in sugar syrup. The name Rasgulla is from the Bengali Word Rosogolla or Roshogolla where ‘Ras’ means juice and ‘gulla’ means ball .Rasgulla tastes best when served chilled .Now let’s see how to prepare the famous Rasgulla
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Sweet
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time : 20 mins/batch| Makes :10 |Author :Sharmila
Full fat milk – ½ litre
Thick Curd – 3 tbsp
Ice Cubes – 5
Water – 1 ¾ cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Cardamom Powder – a pinch
Saffron – few strands
1. In a sauce pan boil full milk, once it start to boil simmer the flame and add thick curd/ Yogurt.
2. The milk will start curdle and gradually it will curdle fully switch off the flame and add in ice cubes in this stage.
3. Sieve the curdled milk using a strainer, you will get the chenna and whey water separated. You can reserve the whey water for cooking or kneading the dough for roti .Wash the separated chenna really well. And then squeeze out the excess water using a cloth and then leave the chenna in the cloth for 30 mins to absorb the excess moisture.
4. Transfer the chenna to a mixing bowl and it will resemble a crumble start kneading the dough and continue kneading for another 8-10 mins as kneading gives soft rasgulla. Divide the kneaded dough into equal small sized balls and shape it to form balls or any desired shape.
5. Take a pressure cooker add in water and sugar and cook till the sugar is completely dissolved.
6. Add in the shaped balls close and pressure cook for a whistle and the simmer and cook in low flame for 5 mins and switch off the flame. Once the pressure is completely released from the pressure cooker open the cooker super soft and delicious Rasgulla is ready, Serve chilled by garnishing with Saffron or any desired nuts.
. Juicy Rasgulla’s are now ready for tasting :)
- For curdling the milk Lemon Juice, Vinegar or Curd/Yogurt can be used.
- I have tried preparing in the three ways ,I felt the lemon and vinegar stains in the Rasgulla if used for curdling ,Using curd was perfect for me, I dint feel any stains of curd.
- Kneading the dough is very important, otherwise the Rasgulla might be rubbery it would be difficult to consume.
- Rasgulla can be used to prepare Rasmalai also.
- Tastes best when served chilled.
- Can be refrigerated and consumed for a week.
- Instead of pressure cooking this can be cooked in an open pot too, but I felt this way easy.