Mochai it is called as Butter Beans in English, .In Karnataka Avarekalu is seen everywhere during the winter .Sagu in Karnataka means a gravy cooked with Freshly ground coconut along with spices .Sagu is made out of almost all the veggies.It is served along with Poori ,Chapatti or Roti .Today I am sharing a sagu with Avarekalu/Field Beans
Mochai / butter beans sagu recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Karnataka | Recipe Category : Side Dish
Prep Time: overnight | Cook Time : 20 mins | Serves :4 |Author :Sharmila
Butter Beans /mochai – 1 cup
Onion – 1
Oil – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt as needed
Water as needed
Coriander leaves to garnish
Freshly grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Garlic – 4
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp or Cashew nuts – 4
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Green Chilli – 3
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
Cardamom - 1
1. Soak the Mochai overnight in water. In the morning pressure cook it by adding water and required alt for about 3-4 whistles or till it becomes soft .Do not allow it to overcook as it might get mashed up. Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself and then separate the Mochai from water and set aside.
2. Take the ingredients mentioned under “To Grind” section in a blender add little water and grind it to a fine paste.
3. In a pan add oil let it heat up then add in Mustard Seeds ,cumin seeds and Curry leaves let it splutter now add in finely chopped onions cook till it becomes translucent.
4. To the onion now add in the ground masala cook well till the raw smell leaves and then add in turmeric powder and salt mix well and now add in water and bring it to a boil in medium flame.
5. Add the cooked mochai /Butter Beans cook in low flame for about 5 mins garnish with Coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- I used dried Mochai/Avarekalu for this recipe, hence I had to soak overnight and cook .Fresh ones can also be used.
- Avarekalu Sagu is usually served along with Poori in Karnataka