Black Channa Biryani / Chick peas Biryani is an easy Lunch box recipe that can be prepared in just 30 mins .It is so flavourful and healthy. No fancy ingredients are used. Tastes best when served with Raita and Pickle.
Black channa biryani recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Main Course
Prep Time: overnight | Cook Time : 25 mins | Serves :2 |Author :Sharmila
Black Channa / Chickpeas - ½ cup
Basmathi Rice – 1 cup
Onion – 1 big
Tomato – 1
Ginger Garlic Paste -1 tbsp
Mint + Corriander leaves – ½ cup
Green Chilli -2
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red Chilli powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Water – 1 ¼ cup
Thick yogurt /curd – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Fennel Seeds / Saunf – 1 tsp
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
Bay Leaves - 1
1. Soak Kala channa overnight or about 8 hours and then in a pressure cooker add in the soaked Kala Channa , Salt and then add in necessary water and Pressure cook for about 6 whistles or till done .Once the pressure gets released by itself open the cooker and drain the Kala channa from the water and set aside. Soak Basmati Rice in water for 30 mins before cooking.
2. In a Pan/ Pressure Cooker add in oil once it heats up add in the ingredients under To Temper table ,Wait till a nice aroma comes and then add Onion and sauté until glossy.
3. Then add in the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell leaves, then add in mint and coriander leaves and sauté till it shrinks and then add in tomatoes and green chilli cook till the tomatoes leaves out oil.
4. Mix well and then add in Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Salt and Garam Masala and mix well.
5. Add in cooked Black Channa and mix well and then add in the soaked Basmati Rice and mix well.
6. Next add in the water and mix well add in Curd and then check for salt and spice and add if anything is required.
7. Once the Water comes to a boil close the cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle and wait till the pressure gets release by itself and then open the cooker, carefully fluff it the rice with a fork without breaking the rice. Serve with any Raita.
- Tastes best when served with any Raita and pickle.
- This is a very good option for Lunch box.
- Using electric Rice cooker also we can cook the biryani in that case 2 cups of Water should be added for 1 cup of Rice.