Chicken Kurma is a flavourful gravy that can be served along with Roti, Biryani, Pulav, Idli, Dosa .It is very mild and flavourful. Chicken is cooked in a coconut and poppy seeds based gravy and sautéed with minimal spices.
I served my Ghee Rice with Chicken Kurma and the combo was awesome I would say. Now let’s get started.
Chicken kurma recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Sidedish
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time : 30 mins | Serves :4 |Author :Sharmila
Onion – 1
Chicken – ½ kg
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Tomato – 1
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala -1 tsp
Water as needed
Coriander leaves to garnish
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Bay Leaves – 1
Cinnamon Sticks – ½ inch piece
Cloves – 3
To Grind :
Coconut – ¼ cup
Poppy Seeds – 2 tbsp
1. Soak Poppy Seeds in water for about 15 mins and then in a blender add in the soaked poppy seeds and coconut add little water and grind to a smooth paste. If you don’t have access to poppy seeds in your place use Cashew nuts, Replace poppy seeds by 8 cashew nuts and grind along with coconut.
2. Heat oil in a pan and then add in Fennel Seeds, cloves, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon stick, Cardamom.
3. Add in finely chopped onions and fry till it turn glossy then add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves.
4. Add in finely chopped tomatoes and cook till it leaves oil and then add in the chicken pieces mix well and cook for 2 mins
5. Add in Turmeric powder ,Red Chilli powder ,Garam Masala and Salt ,mix well let the masala blend well with the chicken cook for another 5 mins and then add in the ground coconut poppy seeds paste.
6. Add the required water and adjust the salt and spice level, cook till the chicken is cooked and add in lemon juice and coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- If you don’t have access to poppy seeds in your place use Cashew nuts, Replace poppy seeds by 8 cashew nuts and grind along with coconut.
- Adjust the amount of Red Chilli as per your spice preference.
- Instead of adding Lemon juice a tbsp. of curd/Yogurt can also be added.
- Tasted best with Ghee Rice and Onion Raita ,Pairs almost well with all Biryani ,Pulao,Roti.