Poori is my favourite breakfast since childhood days. Even now J and I would say this Aloo masala or Potato masala is the best combo to have with poori. Since childhood every Sunday mom makes poori for us and pair it with aloo masala. We use to eagerly wait for Sundays..Miss those days!!Today I am sharing my version of Poori Masala it is so simple and can be made in minute’s .Only time consuming thing is to pressure cook the Aloo. Now let’s get started.
Poori masala recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category : Breakfast side dish
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time : 20 mins | Serves :3 |Author :Sharmila
Potato / Aloo – 3
Onion – 1 big
Green Chilli – 2
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt as needed
Water as needed roughly – 1 ½ cups
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves a spring
1. In a Pressure Cooker add in the Potato’s and Water and Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once it’s cool down Peel the skin and mash it well and set aside.
2. In a Pan add in Oil once it heats up add in the Mustard seeds, let it splutter then add in Urad Dal ,Channa Dal and then add in the Curry Leaves .Next add in the sliced Green Chilli fry for a min and the add in the sliced Onions.
3. Cook till the onions are translucent .Next add in the Turmeric powder and Salt and mix well.
4. Along with the cooked Onions add in the mashed Potato and Stir well ,Let everything mix well then add in the required water and cover and cook for 5 mins till everything is mixed evenly and the masala thickens.
- Poori Masala aka Potato|Aloo Masala is the best combo with Poori however can be had with Chapatti or Dosa As well.
- The same masala can be prepared thick and used as a stuffing for masala Dosa.
- Usually we add Pottukadalai (Roasted Gram Dal) powder to the masala after adding water it not only makes the mixture thick but also gives a nice flavour.
- Tomato can also be added. It gives a tangy taste.