Christmas is never complete without a Biryani .There are so many variation made in Biryani and various cooking methods are flowed but nothing can match a Dum Biryani .I tried Dum Biryani with the authentic Charcoal method. I did cook this in my mom’s place as in Bangalore in my flat I cannot cook like that .I reserved this post especially for Christmas and it was waiting in my drafts for quite a sometime.
I have already shared pressure cooker Chicken Biryani, however the flavour that we get in the authentic method is incomparable.
- Chicken Biryani
- Prawn Dum Biryani
- Naatu Kozhi Biryani
- Scrambled Eggs Biryani
- Chicken Kofta dum Biryani
- Chicken Pulao
- Egg Rice
Chicken Dum Biryani recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category :Main Course
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time : 90 mins | Serves: 5 |Author :Sharmila
Chicken – 1 kg
Basmati Rice – 1 kg
Onion – 5
Tomato – 4
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt as needed
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Curd – 1 tbsp
Milk – ¼ cup
Saffron few strands
Mint – 1 cup
Coriander leaves – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
Green Cardamom – 3
Cloves – 4
Bay Leaves - 2
1. In a pan add in oil once it heats up add in fennel seeds and then Bay leaves ,Cinnamon sticks ,Cloves ,Cardamom let it sizzle for a minute. Then add in sliced onions fry till they get golden brown in a low flame it may take some time.
2. Reserve some onions for later use ,next add in ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves Next add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till they become mushy so that it gets blended well with the onions and other spices.
3. Next add in the cleaned chicken and fry for some 5 minutes mix everything together.
4. Add in Chilli powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric powder and Salt mix well and cook for another till the chicken almost 90% done.
5. Meanwhile cook the Basmati Rice till it is 90% ready and keep aside. Also in a cup take milk and soak in Saffron for about 30 mins and set aside. Also prepare the Dum I used the traditional method for keeping Dum. Chop in Mint and Coriander leaves and set them ready as well.
6. Keep all the ingredients ready and now let’s assemble everything in a big vessel for Dum cooking.
7. In the Dum Vessel plate the chicken Masala in the bottom as a next layer plate in half of the Basmati Rice.
8. Next sprinkle the Saffron Milk and the top some mint and Coriander leaves and some fried onions .Next add in the rest of the cooked rice as a next layer.
9. Sprinkle the remaining saffron milk, fired onion and mint, coriander leaves, close the vessel with a tight lid and put the Dum on the top of the lid. Let it rest for another half an hour and then remove the dum and wait for another 10 mins to open the lid everything would have cooked beautifully and perfectly by now releasing a nice aroma, Fluff it carefully with a fork and enjoy the meal with Family.
- The authentic Dum Biryani is usually prepared using Charcoal In Dum, however in cities we cannot do the same hence we can do that by place Dosa tawa on stove and the cooking pot on top of that and then keeping a heavy vessel on top of that.
- Tastes best with Raita and Chicken Fry