Ghee biscuits are very commonly seen in road side tea shops .If you happen to travel in the suburban trains in Chennai you would have never missed these biscuits. During my college days I had this experience of travelling in train and I have tasted this biscuits frequently, but I never thought of replicating the same in home, I am so glad and delighted that I could try the same in home and it tasted similar .So happy with this experiment and I would say healthy experiment, Yes I used whole wheat flour.
I wanted to use can sugar to make it even more healthy but I don’t want to lose the white color which is the signature of the ghee biscuits hence used white sugar .Next time I would try with Cane Sugar. The cookie has got a soft and melt in mouth texture and it stays good up to 2 weeks. The cookie is approved tasty by my hubby and daughter so I am sure everyone would love it .Give a try dear friends..
Ghee biscuits recipe
Recipe Cuisine: International | Recipe Category :Cookies
Prep Time: 10 hours | Bake Time : 17 mins | Serves: 4 |Author :Sharmila
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Ghee – ½ cup
Powdered sugar – ½ cup – 2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Salt a pinch
1. Sieve together whole wheat flour ,Powdered sugar and salt and then in a mixing bowl add in the ghee and sifted wheat flour ,Vanilla essence and salt ,Along with them add in the vanilla essence.
3. Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C for about 10 mins and then bake at 180 Deg C for about 15-17 mins or until the base of the cookies starts to brown. Allow it to cool completely and store in air tight containers.
- The baking time may vary from oven to oven so keep a check after 10 mins.
- If your ghee is thick melt it and then use for the cookies.
- Can be stored up to 2 weeks.
- Cake sugar can be used instead of white sugar, but I wanted to retain the white color of the cookies and hence used powdered sugar.