Pongal is one of the most important festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu. It is the festival of harvest, it is celebrated to give thanks to the Sun which helped the farmers in their harvest. It is celebrated in the Tamil month of Thai, it is usually celebrated on Jan 14th.
The festival is celebrated by cooking the rice from the farmers harvest along with any sweet usually Jaggery ,the dish prepared so is called Pongal ,Many variations can be prepared in the Pongal today I have tried Pongal with Rock Sugar Candy \ Kalkandu which tasted awesome.. Now let’s get started.
Kalkandu pongal recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category Festival Recipes
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time : 20 mins | Serves: 4 |Author :Sharmila
Raw Rice – ½ cup
Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
Kalkandu \ Rock Sugar Candy – ½ cup + 1 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Milk – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 2 pods
Cashew nuts -4
Coconut chunks – few pieces
Raisins - 3
1. Dry Roast Moong Dal until a nice aroma comes and it turn to a light golden colour ,Next in a pressure cooker add in the Rice and Dry roasted Moong Dal Add in Water and ½ cup of Milk ,Pressure cook in a medium flame for about 4 whistles.
2. Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself and then open the cooker. Mash the rice and dal with a ladle and then switch on the stove and keep the cooker in low flame and start cooking once again, now add in the reaming ½ cup of milk and the Kalakandu(Rock sugar Candy) .Next add in a tbsp. of Ghee to this and mix well.. Meanwhile heat another pan with the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee add in Cardamom ,Cashew nuts ,Raisins and the coconut chunks and fry till it turns golden .
- Top the pongal with ghee and kalkandu while serving.
- Serve hot for better taste.
- Adding more ghee increases the richness of the Pongal.