Gulkand also known as Rose Petals Jam is from the Indian Subcontinent. In Persian Gul means Flower and gand means sweet. Gulkand is prepared by layers alternate layers of Rose and Sugar and then exposed to Sunday for about 3-4 weeks and when the preserve is ready it is stored in an airtight container (source wiki)
Gulkand has so many health benefits it is widely used as a medicine in Ayurveda. It is mainly used to reduce the body heat. It is advisable to have a tap of Gulkand regularly. It is a very good antioxidant .It is helpful to prevent against Mouth ulcers, acidity, Stomach heat, bad mouth odor, menstrual pain and many more.
Accidentally I came across the recipe of Gulkand from here. Never thought it is so easy ,So immediately I bought rose in that weekend and gave it a try .I prepared this Gulkand a long back and completely forgot about it ,It was lying in my draft for a while ,When I was going through the recipes for Valentine’s day Gulkand struck my mind ,after all it made with Roses right hence it suits the theme. Now let’s get started.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian/Ayurvedic | Recipe Category : Jam/Preserves
Prep Time: 20 days | Makes: small cup |Author :Sharmila
Rose petals – 1 cup tightly packed (Rose or Red colour petals preferably)
Sugar as needed
1. Collect the rose petals in a measuring cup .Put them in a mixing bowl, now wash the rose petals really well.
2. After washing, drain the water completely. Spread it in a paper and let it dry completely.
3. Once the water completely dries out .Collect the rose petals in a blender and pulse it once or twice. Otherwise tear the petals into small pieces. After pulsing, take a sterilisable jab spread down a layer of pulsed rose petals. Next put a layer of sugar as shown in pic. Continue the layering with alternate layers of sugar and rose petals.
4. Allow the jar to stay on sun light upto 6-8 hours a day with lids lightly opened(see notes for instructions) for about 20 days. Every days mix the layer with the spoon. At the night times you can put the jar indoor. After 20 days your Gulkand will be ready .Keep it refrigerated it keeps well for months together.
- Make sure you always use a clean spoon when handling the Gulkand.
- Instead of opening the lid lightly in the sun you can actually put a cloth above the lid and cover with a rubber band, so there is some room of air circulation and it can be prevented from dust.
- Gulkand can be used in a variety of indian recipe and it is also used as a medicine in Ayurveda.
- A tsp of Gulkand a day reduces the body heat.