Puttu is one of the speciality dish from Kerala, Gods own Country .Usually it is prepared with Rice Flour and served with Banana, Sugar, Cooked Green Gram and Papad. In Kerala they serve it with Kadala Curry too.
Today I am sharing my version and I made using Ragi Flour, Which is very healthy, I have added Karupatti(Palm Jaggery) along with the Ragi flour and then Steam Cooked which is so tasty and delicious. Now let’s get started.
Ragi puttu recipe
Recipe Cuisine: south Indian | Recipe Category : Breakfast
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time : 10 mins| Serves: 2 |Author :Sharmila
Ragi | Finger Millet – 1 cup
Salt a pinch
Water as needed
Karupatti | Palm Jaggery – ¼ cup
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
1. In a large mixing bowl add in the Ragi flour to this add in the salt and water and mix well.
2. Next add in the Karupatti and mix well together .Allow it to rest for about 10 mins.3. Take the puttu vessel .Add in the sieve .Next add in a layer of grated coconut and then a layer of the prepared Ragi flour. Repeat the same order for the rest of the flour till the vessel is filled.
5. Fill the bottom vessel with water till it is ¼ th full, Bring the water to a boil and then add in the top part and cook for 8-10 mins ,When the stream starts coming through the lid simmer it for 2 mins and the switch off the flame. After 5 mins remove the top part and invert it, push through a back side of the lid such that the cooked Puttu comes out. Serve hot with banana and Sugar.
- Ragi puttu is an excellent way to include Ragi in our diet.
- The Karupatti can be skipped if you don’t get in your place. However addition enhances the taste.
- Usually Puttu is prepared with Rice Flour and served with Kadala Curry in Kerala.