Fruit cake is often served during the Christian weddings and Christmas. Preparation of this fruit cake indicates the Christmas season. The specialty of this cake is the addition of fruits .Usually a combination of dry fruits are being used. Raisins, Sultanas, Tutti frutti, Candied peeled orange, Dates, Apricots, Walnuts, Almonds, Cashew nuts. Any nuts and dry fruits can be used. Usually the nuts and dry fruits are soaked in Rum. The more the days they are soaked the tastier it is .I have soaked it for about 7 months. You can even soak 2 days or about 2 weeks. Those who don’t want to soak in Rum can replace it will orange juice. However the authentic way of preparing the Christmas fruit cake is by soaking the dry fruits in Rum.
Xmas Fruit Cake
Recipe Cuisine: Global | Recipe Category : Cake
Prep Time: 6 months- 1 week | Bake Time : 45 mins| Serves: 6 |Author :Sharmila
Mixed fruits – 1.5 cups
Rum/Brandy – 1/2 cups (I used rum)
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/2 tbsp
Warm water – 1/8 cup
Plain flour (maida) - 1 cups
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup+ 2 tbsp
Unsalted Butter - 100 gms @ room temp
Eggs - 2
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
For Spice Powder:
Cloves - 1
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - a small piece
Step by step Method with pictures:
1) First start by preparing the caramel.
2) Combine ¼ cup of sugar and ½ tbsp of water in a sauce pan. Heat it till the sugar melt and the color of the sugar turns dark brown. Remove from the stove and add 1/8 cup of water. Do this step with extreme care as adding of water might splash on us while adding water. Put the sauce pan back in water and boil for about 3 mins .At this stage remove it from the stove and let it cool completely.
3) Take the soaked fruits and toss it with about 2 tbsp of flour .This will prevent the fruits from sinking into the bottom of the flour batter. Reserve the Rum used for soaking the fruits, which we will add in the cake batter.
4) Now sift the Flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl 3 times so that they gets mixed well.
5) Separate the Egg yolk and Egg white and keep them in separate bowls.
6) Mix the Egg white really well and keep aside.
7) Now combine the butter and Egg yolk really well.
8) Add in half of the flour mixture with the butter and egg yolk.
9) Now add in the spice powders and Vanilla mixture.
10) Now add in the prepared caramel to this mixture. And mix it really well and add in the remaining flour mixture.
11) Fold the batter gently.
12) Now add in the fruits tossed in flour to the cake batter.
13) Now add in 2 tbsp of the Rum which is reserved from the soaked fruits.
14) Now pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin .Preheat the oven in 350 deg C for about 12 mins .And bake the cake for about 50 mins in conventional mode. The cake is done if a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted into the baked cake.
Now it’s time to enjoy your cake :) Please do try let us know your comments. We value your thoughts.Thanks for your time :)